CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Saturday, October 17, 2009

How I told him.

October 17, 2009

So I woke up the morning of October 14th and took a pregnancy test. I felt like I saw the slightest of somethings, but also thought I may be delusional. I hadn't missed a period yet or anything, but I knew I was pregnant. I just knew. I had that feeling. I had a voracious appetite (more so than my usual hearty one), my sense of smell was superhuman, and damnit, I just knew. That evening I decided to test again on a whim, and this time, that second pink line came right up. I couldn't contain my excitement, so I just started jumping up and down squealing. I couldn't believe it was true!

As much as I "knew" before, I hadn't planned out how exactly I would tell the hubby. I always wanted to do something clever and magical. But it was 7:45 and he was going to be home in about half an hour. I quickly decided to go with the "bun in the oven" approach. I'd heard about it before, and thought it could be cute (plus cinnamon buns sounded delish). The plan was to go as follows: Adam comes home from work, takes a whiff of the intoxicating aroma of deliciousness baking in the oven, and says, "what's that, darling?" To which I knowingly smile and gently touch my hand to my belly and say, "I have a bun in the oven." Afterwards he would proceed to lifting me in the air and showering me with affection, with misty eyes and an assured sense of pride.

Here's how it really went down:
I was so flustered to get to the store and back home in time, I kept fumbling through the supermarket, trying to find the pregnancy tests (so I could take a fancy digital one as well). I finally gave up on that and waited in quite possibly the longest line at the grocery store. The man in front of me was buying 6 bottles of wine and two tv dinners. I naturally assumed he was an alcoholic and wanted to club him over the head when he took over a minute to find his stupid credit card. I race home and throw the buns in the oven, not wasting time to preheat (so I compensated by setting the oven to 475 degrees). Hubbs comes home a mere 5 minutes later and I'm sweating like a hog.

"Hi honey, what's up?"
"Darling, I have a bun in the oven."
"Huh?"
"Bun. In the oven."
"I don't get it. How come you're all sweaty?"
"Because it's freaking hot. Honey, I have a BUN in the OVEN..." (nods toward stomach)
"What do you mean?"
"You've never heard that freaking expression?! I'm pregnant!"
"Shut up."
(grabs test and shoves in husband's face) "See!"
"I see something! Are you serious?"
(eyes well up with tears and saying the following indignantly)"Of course I'm serious!"
(finally getting it and begins to tear up) "Really?!"
(blubbering at this point) "YES!"
"Oh my god, we're having a baby! Really???"
*both embrace and stand in shock at the revelation, kissing occasionally and crying*

AND I burned my buns.

So it wasn't the perfect reveal, but I love it much more this way. ;-)
We ran out to Target to buy the fancy digitals and a few other tests just to confirm, and they came up positive when I tested the next morning.

We're so incredibly excited and feel so blessed.
Silly Adam...

No comments: